While Charlotte Mason stressed the importance of time out of doors, nature walks, studies, and nature diaries, she also taught that it was a “capital plan’ for mothers to introduce a calendar of firsts. This method artistically documents when the first tadpole emerges from the egg or when the first caterpillar spins a cocoon. This not only naturally teaches your child the progression of seasons but it helps your child visually and kinesthetically process the beginning of a life, the metamorphic changes, and the state of the environment at the time of the first occurrence. (ex. butterfly life cycle) This printable downlaod PDF includes a cover, explanation page, a week for every month, and a poem titled, “The Months” by Sara Coleridge for recitation. This is perfect for year round use or can be edited for only certain months to be used by simply selecting specific pages when printing.
- For a full month be sure to print a specific month, four times, using the front and back of a page.
- Print on 90-140 pound cold press water color paper to prevent buckling or bleeding.
- binding can be done at an office supply store or check out my tutorial on DIY book binding and make this into a charlotte mason style handicraft.
- One week out of a month (for young children) is 15 pages.
- Two weeks out of the month is still 15 pages using the front and back of 12 pages.
- For a full 12 months it is 29 pages using front and back of all calendar pages.